“It wasn’t easy (exercising 5 days a week), in fact, I almost gave up in the beginning. But after a couple of weeks someone told me how great my arms looked! I’m so vain, that’s all it took. I was hooked.”
Kelly Ripa has two kids, she’s up at 6 a.m., does Live With Kelly at 9 a.m., hits the gym for about an hour and a half, and then spends the afternoon with her children. Oh yeah, she’s just shy of 40 and didn’t start until her 30′s.
Kelly, who is not big on breakfast, begins her day with coffee at home and then a cup of Starbucks regular coffee with half and half during the show. Her first meal of the day is at 10 a.m. “usually a salad and a small turkey sandwich or a BLT (with turkey bacon) on whole-wheat bread.” Her afternoon snack is a handful of almonds and a pear. For dinner she eats salads and fresh veggies with smaller servings of fish or steak.
Even though Kelly can’t cook, she’s mastered Jamie Oliver‘s minestrone soup, instead of pasta, she uses chickpeas for extra protein.
Kelly’s Personal trainer: Keith Byard
“Because she’s so busy she needed a plan that would quickly work all her muscles from head to toe.” Keith Byard explains.
Byard develops exercises that allow her to focus on both her strengths and weaknesses “A workout strategy that applies to everyone. Pair this 25 minute routine with 20 minutes of cardio five days a week and, like Kelly, you’ll be savoring your new-found strength and body confidence in no time.”
Kelly’s 7 Fave Moves (25 minute routine)
- Squat and rotational row; works butt, legs, back, and biceps
- Rotational lunge; works legs and core
- One-legged hip lift; works hamstrings, butt, and abs
- Sit-up to stand; works abs and legs
- Push-up with rotation; works abs, arms, upper back, and chest
- Inchworm and push-up; works chest, arms, and core
- 20 minute cardio: alternate jumping rope with 30 seconds of jumping jacks