Did you know how simple it was to re-grow your own scallions? Well I didn’t, until now. I came across this easy peasy tid bit at Homemade Serenity‘s blog and scallions will never be the same again.
The next time you buy green onions (which I will be doing today because not only are they delicious but look how pretty!) just don’t throw away the white ends. Simply submerge them in a glass of water and place them in a sunny window. Ta da!
The onions will begin to grow almost immediately and can be harvested almost indefinitely!
- Periodically (every 3-4 days) change the water in the container.
- While you are rinsing the container rinse your onions under the running water. Loosen the roots slightly so that clean water can get through (careful not to rip the roots).
- Do not over fill the container. You want to cover the roots and most of the white part, not the green!
- Be sure they are getting enough sunshine!
- Just snip the green as needed and they will keep growing. If your onions are growing faster than you are using them just chop them up and freeze them to use as needed.